PowerPoint - Save As File Types
Did you know that there are multiple file types that you can use to save a PowerPoint presentation? Have you ever wondered what they are and what they are used for? Then read on.
When saving a presentation the default is to save it as a ppt (or pptx* in version 2007 and above). This is great if you want to work on the slide set or have others work on it, but what if you didn’t want it to be edited or you want to save it as a template? PowerPoint offers you a variety of files types to save the file, here are just a few important ones to know about:
- .pptx or .ppt (PowerPoint Presentation) – this is the default file format for PowerPoint. By using this file format your presentation will always open in normal (edit) mode. This format also allows your file to in earlier versions of PowerPoint.
- .ppsx or . pps (PowerPoint Show) – once you have saved a presentation as a .pps it will always open in presentation mode instead of the normal (edit) mode. This is a great way to save a file if you want to give a final presentation to someone for review or post the presentation on the web to be viewed in PowerPoint as a show.
- .potx or . pot (PowerPoint Design Template) – this type of file is a design template file and should only be used to save design templates. Templates are used to set up the look of your slide set. When saving in this format, be sure to save them to the template folder (sometimes found in - C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates).
- .htm or .html (web page) – saving in this format will give you a Web page set up as a folder with an .htm file and all supporting files such as images, sound files, cascading style sheets, scripts, and more. This file is suitable for posting on the web.
Use the dropdown box (File Type) in File Save As to find the correct way to save your presentation.
* Note: the x has been added to all file types since the introduction of MS Office version 2007 and above.
Take some time and explore the different options available in Word AutoCorrect – you might find an option or two that will help make your job easier. If you need help working with an MS office project contact me at email@example.com I have years of experience and can help you.
Can You Help Me?
For a long time I have been helping you with tips to make your job easier, so can you return the favor?
I am diligently looking for a full-time or contract position that involves digital marketing and the web – and need your help in finding a job.
My background and skills are perfect for a company that is looking for someone to promote their business via marketing, the web and social media or in need of a project manager or communications person. I have created a visual resume (shown to the right) that outlines my skills (click on it for a complete, interactive view). My LinkedIn profile gives a more in-depth explanation of my background and abilities. Also, take the time to review my web site www.aapk.com
If you know or hear of anything that would be appropriate for my skills – please pass that information along to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or refer my information to that person. Thanks – because the mortgage company likes to be paid – go figure!
You Have To Laugh
Animals will eat anything - http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/09/04/erin-pkg-moos-pets-ate-what.cnn.html